… the moment to celebrate!
After using the four previous steps of the toolbox to transform places with a creative approach that emphasizes cultural heritage, it is now the moment to CELEBRATE!
A process following the philosophy of place-making emphasizes the importance of celebration, as the first opportunity to mark the closure of the project and acknowledge the community efforts. This step will increase the sense of ownership and sense of belonging for the children and youth that you have worked with. Celebrating their achievements and the fact that they have accomplished something by working jointly, enforces the community aspect of the project and the potential for further collaboration.
The celebration can take the form of a day’s event inaugurating the project, celebrating the results together, and revealing them to the wider community of the place you transformed.
Here are a few suggestions for the celebration;
- The timing of the celebration has to be done soon after the creation work concludes when the excitement and energy of the youth are high
- If you choose to host an event, make sure you invite representatives of your stakeholders (mapped during step 1) and the individuals that contributed in other steps of the process
- Acknowledge the contribution of each and everyone involved and spend time thanking each other
- Present a before/after documentation of the place (using photos and storytelling)
- The celebration can involve food and drink sharing while inviting the children or youngsters, the guests, and other contributors to experience the new features of the place (benches, equipment, art installations, etc.)
- Capture the feelings of the participants by providing a large canvas or big surface where people can paint, draw, and write notes and wishes. Alternatively, you can invite the children and youngsters who participated in the project to write Letters of Appreciation
CREATIVE PLACEMAKING TOOLBOX – PDF
Association for social development
Jurja Haulika 22.
47 000 Karlovac
web: www. ka-matrix.hr
SUOMEN KULTTUURIPERINTÖKASVATUKSEN SEURA RY
Association of Cultural Heritage Education in Finland
Hallituskatu 2 B,
Business ID: 2148270–7
78 Vasileos pavlou
Manuela Kasunić & Denis Mikšić
SUOMEN KULTTUURIPERINTÖKASVATUKSEN SEURA:
Eeva Astala & Ira Vihreälehto
Despo Pasia & Marina Kyriakou
IMAGES & ICONS:
private archive | freepik.com | flaticon.com
This website reflects the views only of the author, and the Commission cannot be held responsible for any use which may be made of the information contained therein.